Tuesday 29 May 2012

A THANK YOU TO RON SEWELL


I heard today the sad news that Ron Sewell had passed away aged 83 on Monday. I heard the news on Twitter, which is probably appropriate given that he was a real media innovator in his day. He used his media, the Sewell’s Digest, to communicate and to educate so many people in the Motor industry and not just in the UK. His reach extended much further afield, South Africa to Australia, to China and India to name just a few of the countries his company touched. 

I was lucky enough to work for Ron and his wife Joan for 18 months. Working at Ron’s Sewell’s was a genuine education in the motor trade and I was taught business skills that serve me well to this day (including forcing me to write which I still attempt to do). I met so many people including Steve Hamilton, who produces our newsletter, through Sewell’s, started work on the same day, on a Tuesday, the 3rd January in 1989.

1 Queens Square Bath, Sewell's Head Office. Ron's office was at the front of the building on the left hand side. I have such very fond memories of that time and of working at Sewell’s.
You know thinking about the people employed at Ron's Sewell's and the businesses spawned from that single consultancy, there were arguably a lot more people touched by his influence than the trade today might recognize.

To name just a few; MITAC, Alison Associates, Guy Allman’s BTC and AutoVHC, Chris Oakham’s TrendTracker and Richard Well’s RTS Group. He brought Martec to Europe, started the Automotive Fellowship in the UK, he touched Ireland through Bill Cullen, Bills Europa Academy has some roots that go back to Ron Sewell, and of course Sewell’s still lives on to this day under the steerage of Will Holden.

I was one of the younger consultants on his team. I remember being so happy to get a job with Sewell’s, because they really were the very best automotive consultancy at the time (I still have the job offer on file today). 

To be honest, at first I was in awe around him because he really was an influential man in the trade. Over time I really warmed to him, he was a quiet man as I remember him, always deep in thought. I think he probably communicated better through his writing, however, whenever I directly asked him for him for help he gave it freely and he took time with me. I liked Ron and I liked his wife Joan (I think she had more to do with my employment as I was a joint Aquarius).
A toast to Ron Sewell

If I hadn’t joined Sewell’s I very much doubt I would be doing what I’m doing and sat where I’m sitting today. 

So this is my little thank you to Ron Sewell; I was privileged to work for him and to know him. I’m glad he he touched my life and tonight I’ll be raising my glass to him. Thanks Ron, the industry has lost a true gentleman.

No comments:

Post a Comment